Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Great Jehoshaphat!

Those of you who know me, know that whatever scripture I am reading becomes my favorite but today is truly one of my favorite recollections of God's faithfulness. The king is Jehoshaphat who is a strong follower of the LORD. The events are in I Chronicles 20. There was a great army coming against the armies of Judah and Jehoshaphat was alarmed! Duh! So what did he do? He called the people together and said they would fast and seek help from the LORD. My favorite verse is this: "We do not know what to do, but our eyes are on You! [LORD]" 20:12 The next day when the battle ensued God said," Do not be afraid or discouraged because of this vast army. For the battle is not yours but God's"(15). Strangely instead of gathering fighting men they called the choir to sing praises to God. The "vast armies" began to fight among themselves until there was not one enemy left alive. The battle was won without lifting a single sword from Judah. This is NOT a fairy tale, believer. The principles found in this scripture are applicable for us today: 1. We see a vast army coming against us and get alarmed! 2. We don't know what to do. 3.We keep our eyes on Him! 4. We sing His praises even before there is victory. 5. God wins! I don't know what you are going through today...I have some very good friends facing uncertain futures right now...they have a vast army coming against them. I would say to do what Jehoshaphat did...don't wait to sing His praises until after the battle...let your praises actually fight your battle. Great Jehoshaphat, thanks for leading us the right way!

No comments: