Saturday, May 9, 2009

Mother's Day

In 1993, my mother died a week and a half before Mother's Day. I still remember the lonely feeling I had seeing others taking their mothers out for lunch. I almost became sad until I realized my children were taking me out for lunch and the Sonny and Cher song "The Beat Goes On," started going through my head. (those of you who are under 30 will just have to go to itunes and download it!) I vividly remember thinking, "Now I had to be the grown-up!"...one day my own daughter will be the grown-up...and her daughter...and the beat goes on.



So, now I am wondering what my children will say about me at my funeral besides, "Don't she look natural!" I know what I said at my mom's and it had nothing to do with what I thought growing up! Time changes perceptions. No, she did not do everything right and sadly neither have I. Many of the things I said I would never do...I did and I regret, as I think she probably did, all those times. But on the day of her funeral what I remembered was how much she overcame in her life...the loss of a husband and a child to TB while she was not more than a child herself followed by the same illness that nearly took her own life. I remembered her decision after marrying my daddy to risk having a child and her refusal to abort me because her life was in danger! I remember her strength, her character and her laugh...not her mistakes.



That gives me hope for I still have some time to work towards my own funeral! I pray at that time, my own children will forgive the young mother who didn't have a clue what she was doing...and will remember the older wiser mother...who fell in love with Jesus. You see, Jesus overcame a lot in this former Pharisee. He changed me in more ways than I can count...



Sadly, I don't get a do-over in the rearing of my children---none of us do...but Christ will always give us a life do-over. He has promised to make us new creatures in Him. He grants us grace and mercy for all the mistakes we have made and then He forgets about them...to remember them no more! WOW!



So, on this Mother's Day, whether or not you are a mother, this is His promise to you! He makes all things new when we call upon His name. Now, where do we go for lunch????

No comments: