Monday, January 10, 2011

Unseen Gifts!

This Christmas one of my grandson’s brought me a present to open but as I opened it, the look in his eyes showed great mischief!! (More than usual!) He watched intently as I carefully removed the homemade bow and slowly unloosed the massive amounts of tape. When I finished, I found nothing! He began to laugh merrily, saying, “I tricked you, Nonnie!!” I feigned disappointment and to his delight reacted just as he had imagined. His goal was to trick me and that he did!

While this is funny to his Nonnie, I began thinking that many of us believe God has done the same thing to us. We hear that everyone has a gift to use for the Kingdom but when we look at ourselves we see wrapping and bows but we can’t seem to find any gift. We start to think that God is being cruel and is laughing at us. We look at others and think if we only could…sing, speak, cook, draw, etc. then we could be greatly used. So we sit in envy of others and wonder why our Christian life is not more exciting.

I wish I had a dime for every person I have spoken to that has stated they have no gifts…yet I find them some of the most gifted people I know. Gifts are varied, yet we often see only the outward gifts! I have one friend who constantly says (and will argue with me!) she has no gifts…yet to visit her house is like going to a resort for when I leave I am refreshed and relaxed…her obvious gift to me is hospitality. The problem is that she doesn’t think that is a gift…it is just something she likes doing!! BINGO! That is the very essence of a gift…it is something that comes naturally to you. Many think if is something that is too easy; it can’t be a gift from God!! Those are the best kind of gifts…those that are so much a part of us that we are not even aware of them keeps us from becoming proud.

God is a God of order and He arranges the gifts together to work out His plan in the Body of Christ. When we look at others and desire their gifts, we are telling God is that He didn’t give us the right gift! Often that thinking will cause us to sit back and do nothing, which can possibly weaken the Body. Beth Moore, a true Mary of Bethany, made a comment that she hopes when invited to dinner that there is a “Martha” somewhere in that home or there might not be food!!! !

Gifts are a part of who you are…some people can organize…others have great ideas…others just know what to do in situations when others are at a loss! Some have just the right words to say when everyone else stays silent. Some encourage others without even knowing it. All of these things come naturally! So, see God gave you wonderful gifts and your gifts are needed.

I just returned from a ladies retreat…the committee had provided a basket for the ministry team. They did not just throw things together but had been intentional in what was included; careful thought for every possible need was provided. I was blown away by the way these precious ladies had provided for us…yet they didn’t think anything about it commenting that any one would have done the same…but would they? No, these ladies had a great gift and used it so the ministry team could be also be used!

God has gifted you, dear one!! He has made you exactly the way you are for the betterment of the Body you serve. Are you using what comes naturally to you or are you envious of others and what they do? If you do the latter, you are denying the Holy Spirit the opportunity to use you!! You are saying to God, “You tricked me!!” He hasn’t tricked anyone…He put you where you are for a specific purpose. Ask Him today where He can use you. You will then be amazed at what will happen!

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

We had the opportunity to discuss our gifts in the youth lesson on Sunday. I'll use some of your words to help them understand what their gifts might be, now that I have read your blog and understand them better myself!