Monday, February 28, 2011

Cool or Committed? That Really is the Question!

I like to write about uplifting things but this blog is going to be kind of different! I am a teeny bit upset!! I am upset with the modern church but mostly with myself!

I had the privilege of leading a ladies conference this past weekend where the presence of the Lord was evident. By the time it was my turn to teach, the ladies were so ready to hear the Word of God that it was a blessing. So, why am I upset? I am troubled because I don’t see that happening weekly in many congregations. (If it happens in yours, you need to get on your knees and thank God that you have leaders who have their priorities right.) Many of our congregations, however, tend to be more concerned with trying to be cool rather than preparing the congregates for worship. Many “worship” leaders tend to be more concerned with hairstyles, praise team’s age, dress, and having the newest songs rather than calling the people to open their hearts to the Spirit of God. It is about image! I have even heard that a worship leader in our area is wearing eyeliner and blush in order to make a statement that he is inclusive of all types. Music is just the start…sermons are more like motivational discourses rather than the gospel. A blogger I read today said this: Declaring the Gospel is serious business — not a show. Method is NOT more important than the message. Leadership will say they agree with that statement — but actions show otherwise.


The worship leader this past weekend gave all she had to the LORD and it was evident from before she began to lead until we walked out the door. She loved Jesus and that love was all over her! She nearly disappeared as we went to the throne. Her goal was all about connecting corporately with a Holy God. Tears streamed down all our faces but it wasn’t just an overload of emotion…it was a true connection with Our Father!!! It truly was about Him. I came home exhausted but so filled.

It was then God began to speak strongly to my heart. While writing Sunday School lessons from the book of Philippians, I came face to face with how far the church has come from being what Christ called us to be. I pulled out, for reference,
The Cost of Discipleship by Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a book I read several years ago and began to re-read it. Dietrich Bonhoeffer was a theologian/political activist from the 1930’s-40’s. His mission was to warn the church of their need to stand up against Hitler who was trying to silence any mention of God in Nazi Germany. The premise of the book is about “cheap grace” verses “costly grace.” He defines cheap grace as, “Preaching of forgiveness without requiring repentance, baptism without church discipline, communion without confession, absolution without personal confession. Cheap grace is grace without discipleship, grace without the cross, grace without Jesus Christ!” Costly Grace on the other hand is, “The treasure hidden in the field; for the sake of it a man will gladly go and sell all that he has. It is the pearl of great price…It is the kingly rule of Christ, for whose sake a man will pluck out the eye which causes him to stumble; it is the call of Jesus at which the disciple leaves his nets and follow him.”

Christ gave His all to us but also said, “Unless you take up your cross and follow me, you cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14:27) Being in the worship I experienced this weekend, I realized how far I had departed from what Christ requires. I too have fallen for the hype! I realized I am not called to be “cool” but committed. Not so much “relevant” but reverent before a Holy God. I as well as our churches need to start lifting Christ and Christ alone. I don’t want to be a part of a show but a part of surrender. I want to remember how costly grace is and I need to forget about me and make it about Him…and the strange thing is, when we do that corporately, the world will take note. I want these words to be said of me:

Acts 4:13 “When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus.”

Not fashionably dressed, not up to date, not contemporary, not even cool, but the world around them saw that they had been with Jesus! I want people to see that in me-- I want to be a true worshipper…one who worships in Spirit and Truth and who looks only at Him. There, I have said it and I feel better. Hold me accountable but also hold yourself accountable. The world needs us!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cyndi. Your blog was very encouraging to me. I long to see the Body of Christ seeding the face of God and following in hot pursuit of Him. I will pray for you as you allow God to use you in this way. I plan on using the Word you ministered to us this past weekend to our ladies at church. Oh how we need to be passionate about our LORD!! God bless you Cyndi and it was wonderful meeting you! Toni Childress

Anonymous said...

Hi again. That was supposed to be seeking. Ha! Also,I don't have any idea how to use this which is why it says anonymous!